Arroyo Literary Review welcomes submissions from new and established writers. We encourage you to become familiar with the material we publish, prior to submitting your work.
Be sure to check out Arroyo’s Duotrope page. File your submissions!
For more insight into our publication and its submission process, check out the interview with Arroyo’s Editor on Duotrope.
- Arroyo Literary Review seeks poetry, fiction, flash fiction, creative non-fiction, personal essays, and translations. We will consider short plays and drama. We do not publish book reviews.
- We only consider previously unpublished work.
- We accept multiple prose pieces at a time (up to 4,000 words each, with a limit of 3), and multiple poems (with a limit of 5).
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, though notify us immediately should your work be accepted elsewhere.
- Our reading period begins December 1 and ends May 31. (Any submissions received before or after this reading period will not be read and we will recycle them immediately.) All submissions received on time will be responded to no later than 1 month after our reading deadline.
- Please include SASE for response. (All envelopes must be stamped. Unfortunately, we cannot accept international reply coupons [IRCs] or other form of payment for overseas submissions due to local USPS restrictions. Without a stamped envelope, we will not reply to your work.) All rejected manuscripts will be recycled.
- At this time, we do not accept electronic submissions. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns related to artwork submissions, but please avoid sending attachments.
- Unfortunately, Arroyo Literary Review cannot honor any requests for a book review. Please do not send us your forthcoming publications, as our editors will not be able to respond to them.
- Arroyo Literary Review requires the First North American Serial Rights for accepted manuscripts. Rights revert to the author after publication.
- Contributors will receive two copies of the issue in which their work appears. Bulk discounts are available to contributors wanting additional copies.
Please send submissions to:
Arroyo Literary Review
Department of English, MB 2579
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542